Winter Fantasy to be smaller but still sparkling

Na Hoku staff

No Grinchy virus is going to keep the Moanalua Student Association from having a party. The Winter Fantasy–a scaled-down, safety-minded version–will light up the campus December 16.

The event is normally held at a hotel or other public venue, but the committee learned a few weeks ago that the site they chose does not allow eating or dancing. Moanalua High School Principal Robin Martin, Student Activities Coordinator Sherwin Pang, Winter Fantasy Adviser Shelly Koyanagi, and the student planning committee had to scramble to find a new location.

The committee decided the school campus–Mene Square and the cafeteria in particular–would be the safest and most convenient. 

“We want to make sure these school events can happen while still respecting the safety protocols the state and Department of Education have established,” Winer Fantasy Adviser Shelly Koyanagi said.

To that end, the committee is going to “have to be creative” in organizing an event that students will still regard as special, she said.  In addition, all attendees will need to show proof of COVID vaccination status. This is in keeping with all other school activity requirements.

One benefit of having the Winter Fantasy on campus is that the ticket prices will be much lower. Instead of paying $80 for each “bid,” the cost this year will be $40. This includes a meal as well as a DJ. 

One drawback, however, is that instead of hosting the usual 500 revelers, the event will be capped at 200 people. Another limitation is that only Moanalua students will be able to attend.

These restrictions are unfortunate, Koyanagi said, but she is excited to be able to organize an event at all.  There was no Winter Fantasy last year.

“These extra-curricular activities are so important for students,” she said. “They provide them with the whole high school experience.”

Permission forms are already available from Koyanagi’s room, P14. Pick them up during non-class hours. Ticket sales will Nov. 3-5 outside the Students Association room during lunch.  Refunds will be given until November 26.