Disney+ – “A Whole New World”

Kendelle Hung-Ino, Digital Media Editor

Disney’s done it yet again and has taken the media by storm, but this time with its new Disney+. The Disney exclusive streaming service exceeded over ten million sign ups within its first day of launching in early November, surpassing records of rival streaming platforms.

Disney+ offers movies and TV shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and National Geo- graphic. Subscribers are able to readily stream or download throwback TV shows to even new Disney+ originals. Costing $6.99 a month, Disney’s platform seems to fall slightly cheaper than its competitors.

Several shows are exclusive to users. High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a spinoff of the original High School Musical movies. The Mandalorian has also received much attention due to its viral baby yoda character.

The platform is receiving much appeal from teens who are excited to be able to stream TV shows and movies from their childhood. The Suite Life of Zack and Cody,

Wizards of Waverly Place and Good Luck Charlie are few of the shows favored by Gen Z subscribers. They enjoy the sense of nostalgia and being able to reminisce through the shows they grew up watching. “I bought Disney+ because I wanted to rewatch shows from my childhood again, like Hannah Montana, That’s So Raven and The Suite Life of Zach and Cody,” says junior Brittney Maddox.

Disney has also partnered with Verizon and is giving one year of Disney+ free for switching to Verizon or if you have Verizon Unlimited. Sophomore Kahmee Teshima is one of the many users under the Verizon plan, “I have Disney+ under Verizon, but it 100% worth the money and I will be purchasing it after my year subscription ends.”

Disney+ has entered Disney in the “streaming war” where entertainment companies are competing for as much money possible in the streaming business. It is predicted to surpass its smaller competitors, furthering the company’s growth in the entertainment industry. With all that Disney+ has to offer, will you too follow the hype and purchase Disney+ ?