Blood Drive Comes To Moanalua HS

Photo Courtesy Ruimin Lin

Youya Channel Ruimin Lin showing her blood donation at a previous blood drive.

Yerin Hong, Writer

The Blood Bank of Hawaii (BBH) will be visiting Moanalua High School February 26 as part of the National Honor Society’s (NHS) annual campaign. Donations from volunteers will be accepted in the BBH mobile bus in the student parking lot from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Due to the pandemic, blood donations fell last year, so it is more important than ever for healthy people to donate now. Blood drives like the one at Moanalua High School help save the lives of patients who depend on blood donors. Blood cannot be made artificially or replaced by another substance. Donations from volunteers is the only way to save patients who need blood transfusions. 

Giving blood is simple but there are rules. Donors must be over 15 years of age and in good health and weight at least 100 pounds. Students aged 15-17 need parent permission. Donors will be expected to wear face masks and follow social distancing rules and sanitizing measures will be enforced. All instruments are only used once before being sterilized. Before donating, volunteers should drink 8 to 10 glasses of water within 24 hours, eat a healthy meal and get plenty of sleep.

Each donation will help save up to three lives. During this time of crisis, the faculty, staff and students of Moanalua High School can make a big difference in the lives of fellow Hawaiians on February 26. To donate, contact a NHS member for more information.