Marching band concludes its fantasy season

Haley Meyer, Staff Writer

This past marching band season was so spectacular you could almost call it 

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. With an in-person season at hand, the music department had  the fun challenge of designing a show with a slightly smaller footprint.  Because of last year’s shortened season, there weren’t many rookies, and some students who might have joined were not able to this season. Fortunately, there were many musicians and dancers ready to bring their Moanalua Magic to the field.

This past season’s theme was “A Disney Fantasy,” which truly did end up being a fantasy. The band performed a “When You Wish Upon A Star”, “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” and a “A Princesses Dream” which is a Disney medley, including the songs, “Beauty and the Beast”, “Part of Your World”, “It’s A Small World”, and “Night On Bald Mountain”.

The newer players that joined this year had loads of fun, especially with the upperclassmen there to guide and mentor. The rookies made many new memories and friends. Every year a senior chooses one or two rookies to guide through the season. For example, rookie sophomore Jordyn Haramura, who is in the Color Guard, was chosen by senior Color Guard Captain, JaidaLyn Kamaunum, nicknamed Anuhea.

“Anu was the best senior that I could have hoped for,” Jordyn said. 

Because of COVID-19 restrictions, there was a shortage of performances this year. This season there were only five performances as opposed to the normal ten: Homecoming, Sup-A-Long, Menehune Classic, Oahu Marching Band Festival, and finally, their Grand Finale. Despite the smaller number of performances and audience restrictions, all students had a memorable season and experience with each other.

“I have no regrets joining this season,” sophomore tenor “rookie” Xchyler Barut said. “I loved every minute of it.”

Many of the marching band members that are returning next year are excited to see what the next season will bring. They hope that it will have more events and performances. Although many members are sad, they are also excited to see how things will go without the restrictions of COVID-19. With the ending of the short but sweet season, many of the seniors are sad to leave with full hearts and great memories. 

Senior Easton Ikenaga, who is a part of the bass drum section, said, “Marching band is a very intense activity physically and mentally, and it isn’t something to take lightly. But, behind all of the long rehearsals and run-throughs, marching band is a fun activity everyone should experience.”