Elective course information sessions set for next week

Kendelle Hung-Ino, Editor In Chief

Although it is still the first semester of school, students already need to be thinking about what classes they want to take next school year.  January 4–the first day back after winter vacation–will be an extended CAP schedule where students will receive their registration cards.

On December 6 through 10 an elective showcase will be held in the library during lunch to inform students about uncommon electives in preparation for January’s course registration. Teachers and current students in these courses will be giving presentations or sponsoring a table.

Computer science teacher Mr. Takahashi, and his student, Student Association president Seolbin Hong coordinated the week-long showcase. The showcase is a new event and is designed to encourage students to explore the range of electives that Moanalua offers.

Some of the featured electives include dance, newswriting, and culinary. Tuesday will cover the pathway electives, Wednesday is English electives, Thursday is media and performing arts, and Friday is exclusively world language. Hong wanted to highlight the courses that “aren’t too popular.”

Hong was inspired by the community she was able to find in her business, computer science, and music electives and hopes to help students find a similar sense of belonging. 

“I know a lot of people don’t know what they [want to] do and they’re anxious about finding a career,” said Hong. 

Hong said she wanted the underclassmen to get the most out of their high school experience by exploring “what amazing programs we have here.” She felt that encouraging students to meet and talk to the elective teachers in person before the registration period would help students