Colleges come to campus to help seniors apply to school

Jameson Huang, staff writer

The first week of November was Hawaii College Application Week where various Hawaii colleges visited Moanalua to hold on-site application days for interested students. Students who wanted help completing and submitting their applications went to the library to receive counseling from college enrollment staff. Many colleges had fee waivers for participating students, giving Moanalua students extra assistance to those who wanted it.

“The turnout was good this year,” College and Career Counselor Rebecca Himuro said. “We were able to get a lot of students to apply for the local schools in just three days.” 

“This is only my second school this season, but my team has been doing many of these events at the different schools for the past month,” Chaminade University Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management Abigail Hurgo said. 

The event was arranged by Moanalua’s College & Career Counselors Tricia Apana and Rebecca Himuro. They have been working diligently to assist Moanalua students who are seeking to apply to college by hosting college visits, meeting directly with students, and arranging events like this. 

They also work directly with college representatives in the interest of the students. Himuro said colleges are still coming to campus to meet with students. Students who want to meet with one of the counselors and make an appointment with them at the College & Career Center, located in the Student Center.

Chaminade University’s Abigail Hurgo, assistant vice presdient for enrollment management, works with senior Ezekiel Villegas during this week’s College Application Week event in the library. (Na Hoku staff photo)