Homecoming parade to bring the party to the streets Friday

Na Hoku staff

It’s time for Moanalua students to break out the Reeboks, slather on the sunscreen, and warm up their vocal cords for this Friday’s Homecoming parade. The after-school event, coming back after a two-year Covid-induced hiatus, will fill the streets surrounding campus with music, chants, and cheers.

The parade will feature the cheerleaders, Homecoming Court, Air Force Junior ROTC cadets, marching band, and the four classes. 

“I’m happy and excited that we will be getting back to normal [in the way we celebrate Homecoming],” Student Activities Coordinator Neilson Ishida said. “I like that it’s an opportunity for community outreach and involvement.”

Friday will have a special bell schedule to accommodate set-up time and to avoid afternoon rush hour traffic (see below).  The cheerleaders will lead the parade out of the Student Parking Lot at 3:00 p.m. The route itself is a relatively short circuit around the neighborhood and should end before 4:00 p.m. Honolulu Police Department officers will be on hand to direct traffic and keep marchers safe, and judges will be placed in two areas to score each class’ level of school spirit. The parade is one part of the overall Homecoming competition. 

“I want students to come out and show their school spirit and personal pride,”  Freshman Class Adviser Jennifer Cole said.

She said her class officers have been posting messages on the class’ social media accounts, and she has been sending email messages as well. 

Sophomore Class Adviser Randy Acosta echoed Cole’s advertising plan.

“We are making props in my classroom this afternoon (Thursday) and will blast out the information there, too,” he said.

Adam Kalama, the senior class adviser, said he is “excited for his first parade and getting out there” in the community with his class.

Junior Class Adviser, Vanessa Schlegel, who is a Moanalua alumna, said she didn’t participate in the homecoming parade when she was a student here, so she is “really excited to finally get to participate and see what it’s all about.”

The football game will cap off the Homecoming festivities. This year, the theme is “Lights, Camera, Action!” This the Student Association’s first big schoolwide event, and is the school’s effort to resume normal activities after two years of pandemic restrictions.

Bell Schedule for Friday, September 9

8:30-9:30 Period 4

9:30-9:45 Recess

9:50-10:55 Period 5

11:02-12:02 Period 6

12:02-12:35 Lunch

12:40-1:40 Period 7