Registration for next year begins this week

Na Hoku staff

The school year is only halfway finished, but already, underclassmen need to begin thinking about next fall. Freshmen through juniors will be receiving their registration cards in an extended homeroom Wednesday, Jan. 4.  This week’s schedule–an A-Schedule–is topsy turvy: Wednesday’s schedule follows the A2 (periods 1-2-4-5 with extended homeroom after recess). Homeroom will be extended to 45 minutes from the normal 25 minutes, and periods 1, 2 and 3 will be shortened by three minutes each. 

Student Activities Coordinator Neilson Ishida emailed students the special schedule for Wednesday via Jupiter before vacation.

The online course catalog is already available on the school website under the Academics tab, Registrar’s Office link. Students will obtain barcode labels or signatures from the teachers representing the courses the students intend to take. A new feature on the card this year is a credit check in the boxes where students put their class labels. Students should make sure all the numbers on their cards add up to seven–the required number of credits all students must take to be considered fully enrolled.

To help students with the registration process, the school will hold a Registration Night on Thursday, January 5 from 5:30-7:10 p.m. for students and parents to hear from the different subject area teachers. For the first time, the school is attempting to overlap that with AP Information Night from 6:25-7:55.  While not required in order to register for AP classes, parents and students should attend to learn more about each teacher’s expectations.  Both meetings will begin in the cafeteria and end with separate breakout sessions.

Students will also have two afterschool tutorial sessions where they can meet with teachers and get labels: Monday, January 9 and Wednesday, January 11.  Cards are due to students CAP/homeroom teacher on Jan. 12. Late cards will be placed at the bottom of the pile and registered after everyone else, which might mean students will not get their first choice class.