Boys volleyball takes third at national tournament; starts season strong

Na Hoku Staff

The Moanalua High School boys volleyball team began its pursuit of an aspirational season by placing third in last week’s Best of the West Boys Volleyball Invitational in San Diego. It was the team’s highest finish ever, and the highest of any Hawaii team.

The Menehune defeated Corona Del Mar High School and Mira Costa High School, the No. 3 ranked team in the nation, to reach the semi-finals. Both teams have players on the US National Team. The boys fell to eventual tournament winner Newport Harbor High School, the nation’s No. 1 team. 

Seniors Kai Rodriguez and Justin Todd were named to the all-tournament team.

“I didn’t know we could play as well as we did being this early in the season,” Head Coach Alan Cabanting told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’ Paul Honda. “All the guys contributed, but when Justin and Kai are on, we can compete with the best teams in the nation.”

The team then returned home and opened its regular season at home, sweeping Roosevelt 25-16, 25-18, 25-17 on Monday, March 6 and Kalani 25-12, 25-14, 25-10 on Wednesday, March 8. the fol-lowed up with a dominant showing Monday, March 13 over OIA East rival Kaiser 25-19, 25-13, 25-14.  

Front row from left: Logan Ho, Kaden Sato, Malu Wilcox, Chico Rowan, Kai Rodriguez, Aaron Matsumoto, Christian Tafao.
Top row from left: Trevor Kwak, Miles Schwab, Cody Bonilla, Zachary Yewchuk, Justin Todd, Jaycen Bush, and Keola DeMello. (Photo Courtesy Alan Cabanting)