Recording history, reporting the truth & recognizing excellence.

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

Breaking News
  • May 2Boys volleyball OIA champs with 3-2 win over Mililani
  • May 2Boys' golf takes second at states
  • March 13Boys volleyball win first home game 3-1 against Castle
  • March 13Softball defeats Kaiser 5-4
  • February 26Girls wrestling state champions for third time

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

Hawaii colleges come to Moanalua to help seniors apply to their schools

Na Hoku file photo
Ezekiel Villegas, class of 2023, met with an admissions official at last year’s college application week event.

There are many steps to getting to college, but the first is applying. Students who are interested in applying for one of Hawaii’s five  in-state colleges have the opportunity to apply in person with the schools’ admission officers.

Representatives from Hawaii’s four-year colleges will be holding in-person application days at Moanalua High School to assist students with completing and submitting their applications. 

“It’s easier, it’s just right there and you get assistance,” said Tiara Baruerla, who is a senior. She said she is planning to attend.

The five colleges represented are Chaminade University, Hawaii Pacific University, University of Hawaii at Manoa, University of Hawaii at Hilo, and University of Hawaii – West Oahu. The location of all these sessions will be located in the library with two sessions being held a day per school. The time ranges for the sessions will be 9:15 a.m.-10:15 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. -1:45 p.m. 

Students must sign up for the session by submitting a form to the College & Career Center. The counselors will then call the students out from class. 

The purpose of these in-person sessions is for students to receive aid and get their questions answered correctly and straight away.

“[I’m going] to gain more ideas of the schools and have a clear direction of what to do when applying,” said Senior Jezreel Mangrobang who will be attending this event.

After applying students will just play the waiting game until December when students will be notified if they have been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.