Recording history, reporting the truth & recognizing excellence.

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

Breaking News
  • May 2Boys volleyball OIA champs with 3-2 win over Mililani
  • May 2Boys' golf takes second at states
  • March 13Boys volleyball win first home game 3-1 against Castle
  • March 13Softball defeats Kaiser 5-4
  • February 26Girls wrestling state champions for third time

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

Dance students host visitors from Aotearoa

Haley Meyer
Saydie Hannemann-Frondozo (Denim jeans) and Malie Moe (Peach colored dress) lead the Aotearoa exchange students in dancing of the song “Aloha-Oe, Until We Meet Again”

Moanalua High School Polynesian dance students said “Kia ora!” to a group of students from Aotearoa (New Zealand) October 20 when the groups met in a cultural exchange. 

The first and second year dance students shared the gift of hula in the school library after listening to presentations about mental health–a common concern among the students–and touring the campus.

“The students were happy to have a real exchange of information. Normally, they visit schools and give presentations,” Reincke said. “but this time, they were able to sit and listen to others.”

The day was full of “the American experience,” Reincke said, which included school lunch–it was roast turkey that day–and watching how students interact with each other.

The day did not end with the bell. The group learned that the Moanalua football team was going to play a game at Campbell, and the group drove to the Ewa Beach campus to catch the action.

“They were so impressed with the cheerleaders,” Reincke said. “In New Zealand, they have all-star squads, but not teams at their individual schools,” she explained. 

Reincke added that the students were amazed that there was big crowd of spectators at the game.

“The students told me at their schools, no one goes to the sporting events,” Reincke said. “It’s just the athletes, coaches and refs. Not even the parents attend.”