Recording history, reporting the truth & recognizing excellence.

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

Breaking News
  • March 13Boys volleyball win first home game 3-1 against Castle
  • March 13Softball defeats Kaiser 5-4
  • February 26Girls wrestling state champions for third time
  • February 23Art on the Hill 5-7 p.m. March 1 in the PAC
  • February 23ACT next Tuesday, Feb. 27 8:30

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

Drama club’s murder mystery requires audience participation

Jameson Huang
Hokulani Figueroa (in white) reviews the script during practice.

For those who think “going to the theater” is boring, hold that thought. The drama department’s spring production, “The Mystery of Edwin Drood,” is a musical that requires the audience to determine how it ends.

“There are eight different endings,” play director Lauren Araki said. “So the challenge for the cast is for the actors to learn all the different scenes.”

Junior Jordin Yewchuk, who plays Edwin Drood, said the audience will get to select which of the eight characters they think killed Drood and which two characters fall in love. The audience’s decisions will determine which scenes and songs will be performed.

The play is based on an 1870 unfinished novel by Charles Dickens. Dickens had only completed six of his planned 12 chapters before his death, and he left no notes on how the story ended. Writers over the years have attempted to write its endings.

The drama program began preparing for the production in November with pre-production activities and auditions. Drama teachers Adam Kalma and Mark Ikenaga are the overall advisers.

Three shows will be offered during the school day: two on Tuesday, Feb. 20 and one on Wednesday Feb. 21. Teachers were required to sign up in advance.

Public shows are Friday, Feb. 23 at 7:30 p.m., Saturday Feb. 24 at 2:00 and 7:30 p.m., and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. All performances are in the Performing Arts Center (PAC).  The Saturday evening show will feature an optional pre-show English-themed dinner to reflect the British setting of the play. Culinary students will be preparing the food under the guidance of teacher Justine Perkins. 

Tickets are $10 for all shows, except for those who wish to have “dinner and show.”  In that case, the ticket price is $25. People age 17 and under are $5.  Scan the QR code on the flyers posted around campus or go to the website gofan.co and search for Moanalua High School.

Araki’s co-directors are Cody Goo and Ian Rivera Velez. The cast, in addition to Yewchuk, include Gianna Fabre, Sierra Terhune, Olivia DeLima, Reese Ramos, Ben Perez, Hokulani Figueroa, Catherine Hallinan, Johanna Medina, James Aiona, Demi Liu, Nikki Salatamos, Brooke Beltran, Angela Mitchell, Christina Tavares, Hope Coloma, Cassie Simbahon, Dev Graham, Marienne Mangayayam, Alisha Biacan, and Ace Magaoay.

The tech crew are Joshua Tucker, Danika Gubatan, Sharleen Negre, Victoria Nilo, Kiryn Nakasone, and Mariko Holmberg.

The backstage crew are Chloe McAllister, Jiah Rae Almaden, Kylie DuBrall, Frances Navor, Joseph Oshita, Felicity Isotalo, Karina Garcia, and Isabella Turney.

Members of the National Art Honor Society designed and painted the backdrops.

Buy tickets online by scanning the QR code on the flyer.