Recording history, reporting the truth & recognizing excellence.

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

Breaking News
  • March 13Boys volleyball win first home game 3-1 against Castle
  • March 13Softball defeats Kaiser 5-4
  • February 26Girls wrestling state champions for third time
  • February 23Art on the Hill 5-7 p.m. March 1 in the PAC
  • February 23ACT next Tuesday, Feb. 27 8:30

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

NA HOKU O MOANALUA

CTSO students scoop awards at state competition

Kiara Watanabe (left) and Neveah Terrado hold up their blue ribbons for taking first in the knife skills competition at the recent CTSO convention.
Ben Carlos photo

Moanalua’s Career and Technical Education students saw their hard work pay off at the state Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO) competition Jan. 22-24 at the Honolulu Convention Center.

The HOSA (health occupations) students had seven teams take first place in subjects ranging from mental health, human growth and development, and emergency medical technology. 

In addition, juniors Nyah Callender was elected next year’s state vice president of community engagement, Evan Youn will be the vice president of technology and public affairs, and Hoyt Fujihara will serve as the secondary (school) board representative.

Moanlua’s DECA chapter, a club focusing on business, also brought around 30 students to the conference. They took home medals in Sports and Entertainment, Travel and Tourism, Business Services, and Quick Serve. Sophomore Jonna Tran took home the first place medal in her category for the first time since joining. Junior Patricia Nguyen won first place again in Retail Merchandising and so did Seniors Joel Jeon and Nate Choi in Sports and Entertainment. Medal winners qualified for a bid to nationals in Anaheim, California, which will be later in April.

The future chefs in FCCLA won a slew of medals in baking and pastry categories. Seniors Dylan Gomez and Ben Carlos are national qualifiers in the entrepreneurship category. Senior Lei Shinshiro won a gold medal in baking and pastry and also qualified for the national competition in Seattle in June. Junior Kiana Watanabe and senior Neveah Terrado won a blue ribbon in knife cutting.

See this link for the full results.

DECA Results

HOSA Results

FCCLA Results