HHH Donations Are Still Open

Calista Ancog, Staff Writer

This year’s annual Helping Hands of Hawaii donation drive at Moanalua High School, now more than halfway through, is being conducted via snail mail. The normal procedure is to collect money during homeroom.

Student Activities Coordinator Sherwin Pang said, “Donations are way down this year but, it is (to be) expected.”  With students not on campus right now, students have to mail checks to the school.

This year’s donations are down by one-third from last year’s total, according to Pang. But the fact that students are actually donating is something he appreciates, he said.  To encourage participation, the drive is also a grade level and homeroom competition. As of last week, the junior class was in first place. 

Donations to Helping Hands Hawaii, a local non-profit organization, support various community organizations that provide services such as, Covid-19 support efforts, the Community Clearinghouse, a program that distributes basic living supplies to families in need, and SNAP Outreach Progra, program that offers food stability to families.  

The drive started on August 17 and will end on September 17. Students have until then to mail their contributions to the front office at 2825 Ala Ilima Street, Honolulu, HI 96818.