Connection For All

Kendelle Hung-Ino, Associate Editor

Administration distributed 181 laptops and iPads in August to connect Menes to their new online classrooms. Teachers followed and let students borrow devices necessary for their curriculum.

At the beginning of the year, technology access questionnaires were given to students to assess if they would be ready for a virtual first quarter. Admin used the results to determine who they needed to help connect to their classes.  

“First priority were the people who didn’t have a device, next were the ones who might have to share,” said vice principal Tia-Michelle Marquez who led the distribution.

If a student’s response showed possible difficulties, they were given a laptop starting August 18th. Admin initially distributed older HP laptops that are typically used for testing since it was what they had ready to give out. If the laptops were not equipped with a camera they were later swapped. 

I needed to borrow a laptop…because my family only had one computer and my mom is using it for her job,

— Jordan Lautej

“I needed to borrow a laptop…because my family only had one computer and my mom is using it for her job,” said freshman Jordan Lautej. 

It took Lautej three laptops before he received one that successfully connected him to his classes. “…I was just hoping the next one would work,” he said.

Two weeks later, the district provided 300 iPads per request by the school. “ If every single student needed a device, we [knew] we [didn’t] have enough, [based]…on what…[is] on campus,” said Marquez.

About 45 iPads were given out. However, most prefer laptops as the iPads did not come with a keyboard attachment which the school is waiting to receive. All iPads will be returned to the district when distance learning ends. 

“I had to share a device with my sister, so…I was able to borrow an iPad…at first it [was difficult not having a keyboard] because I had to use Safari to type [on] Google Docs,” said senior Frances Uy.

I had to share a device with my sister, so…I was able to borrow an iPad…

— Frances Uy

Very few students do not have internet access, those without were offered to work on campus and use the school’s wifi. About 2 to 3 students physically come to school for online class. 

Devices other than laptops and iPads were also issued, senior Daniel Jose picked up a graphing calculator for his AP calculus B/C class. “Online I see them anywhere from $130 to $170…,” said Jose. 

All Menes are now prepared for distance learning in the chance it continues further into the school year.