MOHS Journalists For The Win

Na Hoku Staff

Moanalua High School’s young journalists took several top state awards at the 53rd annual Hawaii High School Journalism Awards, which was held online.

The Na Hoku O Moanalua magazine that was published right after spring break featuring the new Performing Arts Center (PAC) won “best single issue” in the state. Junior Ariana Patalinghog and sophomore Calista Ancog won first place in the state for feature writing for their story on the PAC. Junior Yerin Hong placed first in the state in news writing, and the entire staff was honored with first place for their profile article on counselor Jennifer Ladao. Juniors Adrianne Salas, Emily Delacruz, and Elle Wellman were the other staff writers who contributed to the Ladao article.

Senior Britney Maddox received a first place certificate in the public schools division for her layout on the student activism spread in the magazine. Junior Kendelle Hung-Ino placed third in the public schools division for her candid photo. She was also honored for being Na Hoku’s Most Valuable Staffer.

“I’m so proud of our terrific staff,” adviser Liane Voss said. “Though we are not always in the room at the same time, they communicate with each other well and meet their deadlines. They are a joy to work with.”

The newspaper’s vision is “reporting the truth, recording history, and recognizing excellence,” and the journalists have had to work through the challenges of distance learning to keep to their word. 

Editor in Chief Britney Maddox said, “it’s been a difficult year navigating distance learning and creating a newspaper at home. However with a lot of communication the staff was able to make this year memorable.”

Students interested in joining the staff as writers, cartoonists, graphic designers or social media creators can contact adviser Liane Voss through the school Gmail.